Menlo Park Municipal Water

Menlo Park Municipal Water provides water to approximately 16,000 residents through 4,000 service connections within two service areas: the Upper Zone (providing water to the Sharon Heights area) and the Lower Zone (providing water to areas east of El Camino Real). All of the water provided is purchased from the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission and is piped from the Hetch Hetchy reservoir in Yosemite National Park to Menlo Park through the San Francisco Regional Water System. On average, 85 percent of the regional water system's water comes from the Tuolumne River watershed and 15 percent comes from local watersheds in the East Bay and Peninsula

Find your water provider

There are four water providers within Menlo Park. To determine your water provider, use the interactive map and enter your address.


Past due water bill policy

Disconnections due to nonpayment are currently suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This policy outlines the City’s process for handling past due water bills. It describes the process for notifications, late penalties, disconnections, reconnections, reconnection fees, alternative payment arrangements, and special circumstances for low-income residents, medical need for water and procedures for tenants to become the customer, and how to dispute a water bill.

Rate assistance program

On December 8, 2020, City Council approved a rate assistance pilot program for solid waste services (provided by Recology San Mateo County) and municipal water (provided by Menlo Park Municipal Water).

Menlo Park's low-income rate assistance pilot program provides
  • 20 percent discount for solid waste customers on their Recology bill
  • Fixed discount of $14.11 for water customers on their Menlo Park Municipal Water bill (equivalent to 50 percent of the 5/8-inch meter service charge)

Fire flow information

Fire flow request form

New water connections

To install a new water meter or to upgrade an existing water meter to a larger size, follow the guidelines below.  Properties not served by Menlo Park Municipal Water should contact their respective water provider directly.

Construction water meter

Due to limited inventory/availability, we are only allowing 1 construction or hydrant meter per project.

Construction water meter application

Water quality consumer confidence report

If you would like a paper copy of the 2020 Consumer Confidence Report mailed to you, please contact us.

Most recent | View all


Cross-connection control program

San Mateo County Environmental Health Services manages the Menlo Park Municipal Water’s cross-connection control program, including notifications, record keeping, tester certification, and site surveys for cross-connection compliance. Backflow Prevention Testers must be certified by San Mateo County and be on the approved list of Certified Backflow Prevention Testers.  For information about the cross connection program, please contact San Mateo County Environmental Health Services at 650-372-6200.


Contact us

New water service and customer service

For account information, billing questions or to make a payment




Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Alternating Fridays, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

After-hours or weekends

Report water waste


Billing FAQs

How can I pay my water bill?

Below are a few options on how to pay your water bill:

Who is providing water billing for Menlo Park Municipal Water?

The City of Menlo Park has partnered with Minol Inc. to handle all water billing, customer service and payment remittance. Minol is an experienced water billing management company with over 60 years of experience.

How do I stop or start my service?

To stop your service, please contact our customer care center at-1-844-463-6567 and provide the date for which service should be stopped. You will also need to provide us with a forwarding address for your last bill. Please note you cannot request that service be stopped for a prior date.

To start service, please complete and submit an application. Please note that someone over the age of 18 must be home when the technician comes to turn your water on.

How often am I billed?

Bills are sent to all customers on a monthly basis.

How do I pay my water bill?

There are several ways to pay your water bill:

Include your payment method and payment coupon and return in the supplied return envelope.

What happens if I am late paying my bill?

Payments are due 24 days after the statement date. If your payment is not received on or before the due date, a late fee of one and one-half percent (1.5 %) will be applied to your outstanding balance. Accounts that remain past due will be subject to disconnection and additional fees*.

*Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the Governor’s Executive Order for the State of California, the City of Menlo Park will not be charging any late fees or disconnecting services at this time.

Can I set up a payment plan?

California SB998 allows certain qualified customers to set up a payment plan to pay off a past due balance as long as they remain current with new charges. Please contact us at 844-463-6537 to find out if you qualify.

Is there a paperless billing option?

Yes. Visit us online at to register your account for eStatement notifications. You will receive a notification and a link to view your account each time a new statement is available.

How can I access my account online?

You can visit and register for online access to your account. To register your account you will need to know your 14-digit account number along with either the registration code found on your statement or the numerical portion of your street address.

How can I lower my bill?

The City has a number of water conservation programs and free water saving devices to help reduce water use and improve water use efficiency. Please visit our water conservation webpage for more information.

Does Menlo Park provide any discounts or assistance for low-income customers?

Yes. Recently, the City implemented a rate assistance program that provides municipal water and garbage/recycling discounts for qualified customers. To learn more visit the City’s rate assistance webpage or you can call CCES at 1-888-728-3637 to receive a mail-in application.