Police reports and PRA requests

Request a copy of a police report

Police reports may only be released to authorized parties in accordance with state law. Reports involving certain types of crime (i.e.; juvenile cases and some sex crimes) cannot be released to anyone except district attorneys or law enforcement agencies.

To determine if a report can be released to you, or for information about the status of your report, please contact the Police Records Division. To obtain a copy of a releasable police report (i.e.; theft, property damage or loss, incident reports, traffic accidents), you must be a named involved party to the case (not merely a witness). The processing and copying fee for all police reports is $2 per copy. 

Any persons named as a possible suspect may not get copies of reports from the Police Department. Anyone named as a suspect should call the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office at 650-363-4677.

Public Records Act requests

Public Records Act requests can be submitted using the city's online public records portal. For questions, please contact the City Clerk's Office.

Request public records