Police reports and PRA requests

Request a copy of a police report

Police reports may only be released to authorized parties in accordance with state law. Reports involving certain types of crime (i.e.; juvenile cases and some sex crimes) cannot be released to anyone except district attorneys or law enforcement agencies.

To determine if a report can be released to you, or for information about the status of your report, please contact the Police Records Division. To obtain a copy of a releasable police report (i.e.; theft, property damage or loss, incident reports, traffic accidents), you must be a named involved party to the case (not merely a witness). The processing and copying fee for all police reports is $2 per copy. 

Any persons named as a possible suspect may not get copies of reports from the Police Department. Anyone named as a suspect should call the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office at 650-363-4677.

Public Records Act requests

Public Records Act requests can be submitted using the city's online public records portal. For questions, please contact the City Clerk's Office.

Request public records

Contact us

Police Records


Staff directory